The Vishnusahasranama is a list of 1,000 names (sahasranama) of Lord Vishnu. During the interaction between Yudhisthira and Bheeshma, it was revealed by Pitamaha Bheeshma. Never will defeat attend on a man who adores the Lotus-Eyed One (Kamala Nayana), who is the Master of all the worlds, who is birthless, and out of whom the worlds have originated and into whom they dissolve.
The most important of the benefits attained by reciting Vishnu Sahasranamam is cleaning of one’s mind from all evil thoughts, and this is a very important and desirable benefit since this is the first step towards achieving pure happiness and absolute bliss. Firmness of mind, good memory, happiness of the self (inner happiness), and freedom from anger, jealousy, and greed, are some of the benefits that accrue. The sick become hale, the afflicted become freed from their afflictions; the frightened become freed from fear, and he that is plunged in calamity becomes freed from calamity.
Succeeds in acquiring great fame, a position of eminence among his kinsmen, enduring prosperity, and lastly, that which is of the highest benefit to him (viz., emancipation Moksha itself) is bestowed on the recitation of Vishnu Sahasranamam.
Benefits of reciting Vishnu Sahasranamam:
1. Never encounters with fear and evils
2. Acquires great prowess and energy
3. Disease never afflicts him
4. Splendour of complexion, strength, beauty, and accomplishments become his
5. Mental stability, memory and reputation
In Brihat Parasara Horasastra, Sage Parashara frequently recommends the recitation of the Vishnu Sahasranama as the best remedial measure for planetary afflictions. A verse from the book: “The most effective and beneficial remedial measure for the prolongation of longevity and to obtain relief from other evil effects is recitation of Vishnu Sahasranam.” ch 56 verse 30
As quoted in Mahabharata:
1. It avoids evil, gives success in battles, and helps to gain affluence, pleasure, happiness and offspring.
2. Acquires fame, prosperity, prowess, energy, strength, beauty, removes fear, avoids calamity, and gets cured of disease.
3. Acquires righteousness and intelligence, and avoids the sins of evil.
4. Gets the source of righteous behavior, and the basis of all knowledge and existence.
Varahi Tantra says that in the age of Kali yuga, most stotras are cursed by Parashurama and hence are ineffective. While listing the ones which are free from this curse and hence suitable during Kali Yuga, it is said, “Gita of the Bhishma Parva, Vishnu Sahasranama of Mahabharata and Chandika Saptashati’ (Devi Mahatmyam) are free from all Doshas and grant fruits immediately in Kali Yuga.
Puja service includes: Kalash Sthapana, Invocation of major deities, worship of Lord Vishnu, 108 recitations of Vishnu Sahasranamam, Narayan Gayatri – 1100 chants, yantra pujan, Havan and Aarti.
No. of priests: 9
Day: 1 day